Friday, September 2, 2011

Mind Games

So my run tomorrow will be a milestone. It's huge. TEN MILES. Ugh...just writing that makes my tummy do a flip. That's the double digits. Unheard of! I have run 9 miles before - months ago. (In TN, the heat and humidity were at dangerous levels, so I had to run inside on my treadmill. Girls were on break, husband had been out of town for two weeks straight, walls were closing in, so when I finally had the chance to run outside, I felt free - like I could run forever! But, had to stop at 9 to pick up the girls from my neighbor's...) Ten miles is just so intimidating and I HATE that I'm letting myself think that way! Damn mind games! I just ran 8 miles last Saturday - what's 2 more miles, right? I can do it...right?

As intimidated as I am, I'm also very excited to go for it. I guess I'm a little afraid of not being able to complete it. I mean, I'll complete 10 miles - eventually - but will I be able to run it all? I do plan on stopping to refuel and drink some water, but I don't want to walk. Should I let that go, and just tell myself that I'm not a failure if I do have to walk a little bit? And why am I even using the term "failure"? Sheesh...

I'm also a little worried about the weather - it's going to be hot and humid. I plan on setting my alarm for 5:30 (husband will just love that...), go through my routine as I would on the race day (drink half cup of coffee, breakfast, get dressed, stretch, put on gear, go to the bathroom a hundred times, etc.), and make it out of the house by 7. Hopefully, it won't be too bad at that time. I've been very lucky to have cool weather for my runs as of yet, and wouldn't you know it, the day I plan to run my longest distance yet, it's hot and humid. Oh well.

Before we moved, a friend gave me a couple half-marathon training plans. I looked at those, and several plans online. I found that most of the plans have runners training three to four times a week. I was running every other day, but started experiencing some over-use injuries. I decided running 3x a week would be best for me, and settled on one of the plans my friend brought over. So far, no more over-use injuries. So, last week, I ran 4 miles, rest, 4 miles, rest, then 8 miles. Took another rest day and started this week's training - 5 miles, rest, 5 miles, and because of the upcoming 10 miles, I decided to give my legs two days of rest before attempting. I hope that was the right decision. My legs do feel rested, and like I said, there is a part of me that is excited to go for it. Just need to get my mind in the right place...

If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.



If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.



If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.



Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.


~ C. W. Longenecker ~

No comments:

Post a Comment