Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Dream Goal Coming In Focus

Just got in from my best run ever. I felt great and the weather was perfect. It was my big 12 mile run - one more run this week (5 miles), then it's 3 weeks until the next race. I still find anything over 10 miles to be very intimidating. My tummy gets very nervous before I head out, but I got into the groove quickly with this run.

I finished the 12 miles in 1:49:35, and when I saw that time, I couldn't help but get emotional. Because I'm so cheesy. I didn't think I had any energy left, but I sprinted the last 30 feet and felt awesome. What got me emotional is if I can keep up that pace on race day, I will finish right at or a little under 2 hours - a farfetched dream goal of mine. I try not to think about it because I don't want to be disappointed if I finish with something like 2:03:xx, but I secretly long to finish there. This race course will be hillier than my route - even though I do have some good hills I've been running - and I will have to keep my adrenaline in check, but I want it. Badly. I have a former neighbor from TN coming to run this race and it will be her first half. I'm sure I've mentioned her before. She's a phenomenal athlete, but running isn't her favorite sport - she's a triathlete, and enjoys the biking/swimming more. Anyway, she's training to finish the half in 1:45:xx. Hello?! Unbelievable. While I know I am unable to achieve that at this point (or ever...), she's my inspiration to push myself further. She's a mother of 4 boys - I want to be a fast momma too. My time may be fast only to me, and I'm fine with that.

I'm on such a high right now. Feeling thankful I'm able to even run and appreciate these small feats.

No comments:

Post a Comment